- The Bozon Effect
- Triple trouble weekend on tap for Dynamiters
- Wilks’ instincts kicked in when gunfire erupted
- Bill Bennett speaks stateside
- Dalke helps out with a rival’s hunt
- Strength in sport
- Canada Post says it’s taking mobility issues seriously
- MacBean campaigns for Council
- Invermere mayor challenged on Jumbo stance
- Drivers urged to watch out for wildlife on East Kootenay highways
- Mysterious dinner will raise awareness of local food issues
- Banished beyond Verona’s walls
- Kootenay corporate community gets kids outside
- ‘Velocity’ the theme of 2014/15 Kootenay Literary Competition
- Our Town
Mesa Grove residents allowed home
Residents of Mesa Grove trailer park were allowed to return home Wednesday night after a fire forced evacuation of the property.
Fifty-two homes lost power on Tuesday, Feb. 4 when a fire took out the trailer park's electrical panel.
Because of the extreme cold Tuesday night, residents were evacuated, with many choosing to take advantage of an emergency shelter set up at the Heritage Inn.
Electrical repair crews, including staff of BC Hydro, worked Wednesday to restore power to the trailer park. Repairs were completed late on Wednesday afternoon, according to the City of Cranbrook.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes after 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 5.
It's thought that the fire was caused by the electrical panel overheating.
"Investigators suspect that the extreme cold and a very likely heavy use of heating appliances, including space heaters, caused the panel to overload and catch fire. However, a definitive cause cannot be determined," said Chris Zettel, Cranbrook's corporate communications officer.
Residents were asked to be cautious when using power in their home to avoid bringing the power down again.
"The possibility does exist that as these homes warm up, some may experience flooding due to frozen pipes thawing. Those residents who may experience flooding due to frozen pipes must contact their home insurance company," said Zettel.