- Leonard Nimoy dead at 83
- Murray's Office Plus sold, remains locally owned
- Elizabeth Lake Lodge’s new building approved
- Lock it or lose it
- Physician recruiting will be ongoing, City says
- Friday morning fire viewed as suspicious
- Eastern promises
- Lady Avs advance to PACWEST semifinal
- KIJHL: On to the next one
- Our Town
Kimberley cull delayed because traps stolen
The BC Deer Protection Society is hitting Kimberley with flyers this week as the City's permitted cull has been delayed because of the theft of government-owned clover traps.
Kimberley Mayor Ron McRae confirmed that the cull hasn't begun yet, primarily because of the incident this week where the clover traps were stolen from the Ministry building in Cranbrook, with some being destroyed.
"We are still on track but we can't proceed without the traps," McRae said. "It's not going to deter us but obviously it will slow us down."
The traps are owned by the provincial government. McRae was planning to meet with a ministry representative Thursday afternoon to discuss the permit time frame.
The flyers being circulated label Kimberley as a good place to waste tax dollars on killing deer and calls Kimberley the deer culling capital of B.C.
Kimberley currently has a permit to carry out a cull of up to 30 mule deer — 15 from Marysville and 15 from Lower Blarchmont/Chapman Camp. They also had a permit to remove 100 deer two years ago.
The flyers urge people to contact the mayor and tell him to stop the cull, giving out his direct line at city hall, his cell number and email.
McRae says that the flyers came to the City’s attention early this week. They were put up around town and also on the windshields of cars at the Civic Centre.
McRae says the flyers will be discussed with city staff and there will be some kind of response.
“In the meantime, the public needs to know what kind of tactics this group will go to to achieve their ends.”
Devon Kazakoff of the BC Deer Protection Society says that his group is simply trying to bring awareness to the citizens of Kimberley as the City embarks on another cull.
“The intent is to get the message out on what the city is planning to do and urge the Mayor not to go through with it.
“We’ve found out it won’t start until the 15th (of February). We are hoping to raise awareness and get it stopped.”
Kazakoff says the society plans to be there in any community that tries to deal with deer in a way they consider inhumane.
“Last year in Cranbrook they tried to push a cull behind closed doors. We found out and got it out to the public. We got a public apology. A city councillor even said that it was wrong. It’s not right to try to hide from people.”
In Cranbrook, there are no plans for a third deer cull at this point — there have been culls in 2011 and last year. But Cranbrook Cranbrook Mayor Wayne Stetski decried the theft and destruction of government property, that being the traps.
“Regardless of which side of the issue you’re on in regards to the cull, this is still a crime,” Stetski told the Townsman on Thursday. “It was theft – destruction of property – and it needs to be dealt with as a very serious police investigation.”