- Rebel rouser
- The Return of Reinhart
- Forum deemed success by organizers
- Social media reports are not true, Kimberley RCMP say
- Learning to live on three dollars a day
- Meet the Kootenay Columbia Green Party candidates
- Cranbrook businesses prepare for Black Friday discounts
- The centrepiece event of Election 2014
- The horrifying marriage career of James “Bluebeard” Watson
- Our Town
Man dies in head-on collision near Elkford
On February 23, at approximately 6:12 a.m., Elk Valley RCMP and East Kootenay IRSU responded to a two-vehicle head-on collision on Highway 43, about 11 kilometres south of Elkford.
According to an RCMP press release, a lone 42-year-old male was travelling southbound on Highway 43 in a Ford Focus. The investigation showed that the Focus lost control and crossed the centre line into the path of a northbound GMC Tracker, where the vehicles collided.
The driver of the Ford Focus died at the scene. The lone male driver of the GMC Tracker was taken to hospital with major injuries.
Road conditions at the time were slippery and snow-covered.
As a result of the collision, Highway 43 was reduced to single-lane alternating traffic, fully opening later in the afternoon.
The investigation into the collision is ongoing.