- Celebrate Family Literacy Day
- Warm weather increases avalanche danger
- New provincial funding supports mining
- With Allies Like These … Who Needs Enemies
- Seniors facilities closed to public during RI outbreak
- Tailings ponds inspections find no safety concerns
- KIJHL: California heat
- Police arrest one in snowmobile theft
- Our Town
Man dies in head-on collision near Elkford
On February 23, at approximately 6:12 a.m., Elk Valley RCMP and East Kootenay IRSU responded to a two-vehicle head-on collision on Highway 43, about 11 kilometres south of Elkford.
According to an RCMP press release, a lone 42-year-old male was travelling southbound on Highway 43 in a Ford Focus. The investigation showed that the Focus lost control and crossed the centre line into the path of a northbound GMC Tracker, where the vehicles collided.
The driver of the Ford Focus died at the scene. The lone male driver of the GMC Tracker was taken to hospital with major injuries.
Road conditions at the time were slippery and snow-covered.
As a result of the collision, Highway 43 was reduced to single-lane alternating traffic, fully opening later in the afternoon.
The investigation into the collision is ongoing.