- Avalanche warning
- Resident concerned about downstream creek flooding
- Arts council eyeing up old fire hall
- RCMP respond to home invasion
- Celebrate Family Literacy Day
- Warm weather increases avalanche danger
- New provincial funding supports mining
- With Allies Like These … Who Needs Enemies
- Seniors facilities closed to public during RI outbreak
- Tailings ponds inspections find no safety concerns
- Our Town
Man stabbed inside vehicle in Cranbrook
RCMP have arrested a 26-year-old man after another man was stabbed in Cranbrook on Friday, March 7.
Police were called when a man was dropped off at East Kootenay Regional Hospital on Friday, suffering from serious stab wounds.
The stabbing took place inside a vehicle, RCMP said, and the victim was dropped off at the hospital at 2:52 p.m. on Friday.
"Police worked throughout the weekend to identify a suspect and on Monday, March 10, he was arrested without incident," said Cpl. Chris Newel.
Sheldon Hunter has been charged with aggravated assault and appeared in Cranbrook Provincial Court on Tuesday, March 11. He was remanded in custody pending a bail hearing on March 17.
Police are also investigating an assault that took place earlier the same day behind the Sam Steele Hotel in downtown Cranbrook. The same two subjects were involved in the incident that occurred about 11:30 a.m. on March 7, along with a third male.
"The victim and suspect are known to each other and police would like reassure the public these are not random acts," said Cpl. Newel.
If you have any information about either of these two incidents or observed the man being dropped at the hospital, please contact the General Investigation Section of the Cranbrook RCMP at 250-489-3471 or Crime Stoppers, 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).