Breaking News

Fire destroys Wasa home

Gerald Dekker’s house in Wasa was completely destroyed by fire on the weekend - Ron McConnell photo
Gerald Dekker’s house in Wasa was completely destroyed by fire on the weekend
— image credit: Ron McConnell photo

The community of Wasa is coming together to help a local after his house burned down this weekend.

Ron McConnell, whose house is next door in Wasa, said Gerald Dekker's house caught fire around noon on Saturday, April 12.

"It started just around lunch hour," he said. "He had built this house himself over the last two years. It was a log house."

Dekker and his dog both made it out so no one was injured.

McConnell said the house wasn't quite finished, but was only missing a few finishing touches, like the railing outside made of custom bent willow.

"He and basically a few of his friends were working on this for the last two years," McConnell said. "I'd say it was more than 90 per cent complete."

When McConnell arrived it was 2 p.m. and the house was totally engulfed, just a roaring inferno. He said Dekker had discovered the fire.

"I was talking to him afterwards collecting his thoughts," he said. "They think – they haven't established cause or anything yet – it started somewhere in the chimney. It's weird because it's a brand new chimney, brand new house, approved and the whole bit."

One of the big concerns as the house burned was to keep the fire as contained as possible, to make sure it didn’t spread to the surrounding farm land and forest.

“There were probably 15 local people there,” he said. “Local guys that had arrived with shovels and rakes and things, making sure that it didn’t spread.”

They managed to save most of Dekker’s animal mounts and a few items of furniture. Dekker was a guide and outfitter at one point.

“But everything else, all his clothes, furniture, food is gone. A freezer full of meat gone,” McConnell said. “No insurance. No fire department. There was no way to put it out. There is no one there with that kind of capability to get water up there. The hydro lines were cut off almost immediately by the fire, so his well wouldn’t work. We were hooped.”

Dekker was able to find a place to stay, since his parents live nearby.

From the Wasa Lions Club, within an hour he had a cheque for $1,000.

Wasa Slim Pickens Gas and Goods has a donation box out for Dekker, and McConnell said there would likely be other things going on as well over the next few days.

“I think the community will really come together. Everybody knows everybody out there and everybody knows him,” McConnell said. “A lot of people in (Cranbrook) know him as well.”

People can also get into contact with McConnell through the Wasa Community Facebook page to help out.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Two killed in snowmobile accident
 
Pileated pilferer
 
Part II: Fear Not – There is Help for Children and Youth with Anxiety
Growing pains for police investigation unit
 
New Strathcona Regional District board sworn in
 
Hit-and-run death in Fanny Bay
City of Penticton investigating airport purchase
 
Okanagan Indian Band to municipalities buying CN Rail line: Buyer beware
 
Port Edward to receive $150 million from agreement

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.