- Local company pitches eco-friendly light tower
- Police vehicle targeted in arson attack
- Hunter recovering following grizzly attack
- RCMP believe 58-year-old Creston woman’s death was a homicide
- Remember way back in 2015?
- Study calculates there are now 3 trillion trees now on Earth
- Versatility, simplicity name of game for Mortlock
- Our Town
- 2015 Federal Election
Roller derby back in action
Roller derby is back.
The East Kootenay Roller Derby League kicked off their first event of the 2014 season with three regional teams and one out of Calgary going head to head at an arena in Canal Flats.
In front of 100 spectators, the Bavarian Barbarians went up against an experienced crew out of Alberta, the Cut Throat Carhops.
Veteran jammer Stroker came out strong for the Barbarians, with her blockers dishing out and absorbing some hard hits, one of which sent Ruby Ka-Boom to the bench with a bloody nose.
Though the Kimberley team put up a good scrap, the Carhops used their speed and size to come out with a 228-73 win.
In the second match of the night, the 2012 EKRDL champions—the Invermere Killer Rollbots—went up against the new Wildcat Brawlers out of Elkford. Despite being new to the sport, the Brawlers have some great talent supported by tough blockers.
However, the Rollbots leaned on their experience and won by a score of 221-129.
Next up for the league is another bout in Invermere on May 10, which will feature matchups between the Bavarians and the Brawlers, while the Rollbots will go up against the East Side Wheelers out of Alberta.