- Let the big dance begin
- KIJHL: Best of three
- Betker signs NHL deal
- City discusses intricacies of spray irrigation
- A senseless double murder in 2010
- Two local mines win BC safety awards
- Opening phase of new trail successful
- The fall of Basia, the rise of Ted
- There’s no place like home
- KIJHL: No place like home
- Our Town
Two accused in home invasions back in court
Two of the four people charged over a series of Cranbrook home invasions appeared in court via video on Tuesday, May 20.
Andrew Monnette and Jay Hills are the two remaining men facing lengthy charges in connection with two home invasions in Cranbrook on December 18 and 26 last year.
Their co-accused, husband and wife Terrence Allan and Megan Sands, pleaded guilty and were sentenced in April to eight and five years jail respectively for their role in the incidents.
On Tuesday, Hills' lawyer William Thorne said that his client also wants to plead guilty, and the disposition was set for May 28 in Cranbrook Provincial Court.
Meanwhile, Monnette briefly appeared and asked for his case to be put over until June 30, when his legal counsel could be available. His next court appearance will be to fix a date for trial.
Monnette and Hills face charges including break and enter, disguising the face with the intent to commit an offence, uttering threats, and use of a firearm in committing an offence.
According to RCMP, a home on 1st Avenue South in Cranbrook was the location of a home invasion on Dec. 18. There was a break and enter at the same home on Dec. 24.
On Boxing Day, there was a second home invasion at a property on 6th Street North in Cranbrook.
RCMP said four people allegedly entered the residence carrying a long gun, a shot gun, an Uzi-style firearm, brass knuckles and a baton. In both cases, electronic devices were allegedly stolen.