- City sticking with poverty reduction initiative
- KIJHL: Dynamiters renew work ethic heading into weekend
- Short-handed Ice overpowered by Hurricanes
- Wild boys soccer battle provincial competition in Burnaby
- Wesley opts not to report to Ice; deal with Hurricanes voided
- Avalanche men split weekend to maintain mid-pack standing
- Lady Avs keep pace in competitive PACWEST
- Interior Health reviewing laundry services decision
- KIJHL: Dynamiters ground Rockets for 11th consecutive win
- Conservatives lost their vision
- Randall Hopley to appeal seven-year sentence
- Players Bench Jets collect silver at home
- Our Town
Search on for missing man near Kimberley
Kimberley Search and Rescue members, assisted by numerous search and rescue teams around the East Kootenay, are actively searching ground and water in the St. Mary River area for 23-year old Alex Brown.
Brown is not a resident of Kimberley but was visiting family, who live in town.
Kimberley RCMP Cpl. Chris Newel says that Brown was reported to have jumped into the St. Mary River on Saturday, July 5 shortly after 7 p.m.
"Police were notified by a friend who observed Alex jump into the St Mary River approximately 15 kilometres upstream from Marysville near Kimberley," Newel said. "Alex surfaced after jumping in, but then disappeared from sight.
"Search and Rescue teams began searching the river Saturday night, they continued through Sunday with teams from Kimberley, Cranbrook, Fernie, Sparwood, Columbia Valley and Nelson. Over 35 volunteers have been involved in the search. A helicopter was utilized both Saturday and Sunday, on Monday an aircraft with two spotters flew the river from Koocanusa to St Mary's Lake."
The search is still ongoing," said Kimberley Search and Rescue's Peter Reid, reached on Monday afternoon. "I can tell you we are searching in the St. Mary area. We are looking in that area, in and out of the water. We are looking for one person.
"As usual, we are remaining positive and working diligently to locate this person. We are hoping and praying for the family."
Kimberley Search and Rescue has 12 members in on the search, Cranbrook 5, Fernie 5, Sparwood 4, Invermere 3, Elkford 2, and Reid said KSAR was awaiting a team from Golden Monday afternoon for assistance with a shoreline search.
Alex is 5'5'', 130 pounds with shoulder length blonde hair and moustache. He was wearing brown shorts at the time.
If anybody has further information please contact the Kimberley RCMP.