- Cut down in Saskatoon
- Charity Challenge Boxing returns for second bout
- Ice deal Sittler to Royals
- Kimberley woman reports from locked down Ottawa building
- Rotary Club to mark World Polio Day
- Flu shots protect you and others
- Whalen hopes to build on progress at SD5
- Diana J. Scott seeks third term
- Time to give back
- Shots fired on Parliament Hill. National War Memorial, two wounded
- Our Town
Former Ice signs with Orlando Solar Bears
The ECHL’s Orlando Solar Bears have signed former Kootenay Ice forward Brock Montgomery.
Montgomery spent four full seasons in Cranbrook with the Ice, amassing 65 goals and 119 points in 243 games from 2009 through 2013.
The 6-foot-1 native of Moose Jaw, Sask. signed with the Solar Bears July 29 after splitting the 2013-14 season between the American League’s Texas Stars and ECHL’s Idaho Steelheads. In his first professional season, Montgomery posted nine goals and 24 points in 45 games with the Steelheads, while going pointless in nine contests with the Stars.
The Orlando Solar Bears are the ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL’s Toronto Marlies.
The team will host the 2015 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic on Jan. 21, 2015.
The Solar Bears played in the now-defunct International Hockey League from 1995 through 2001 before joining the ECHL for the 2012-13 season.