- Kootenay Ice trim training camp roster
- Team White takes annual Ice intrasquad game
- Local company pitches eco-friendly light tower
- Police vehicle targeted in arson attack
- Hunter recovering following grizzly attack
- RCMP believe 58-year-old Creston woman’s death was a homicide
- Remember way back in 2015?
- Study calculates there are now 3 trillion trees now on Earth
- Our Town
- 2015 Federal Election
Force foils Star Wars stickup in Vancouver
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - Police in Vancouver didn't have to travel to an intergalactic outpost to find Darth Vader when they arrested the Star Wars villain near the tony neighbourhood of Shaughnessy.
Sgt. Randy Fincham says police quickly determined they weren't dealing with Luke Skywalker's heavy-breathing but powerful dad when they responded early Tuesday to a robbery involving a suspect wearing a Darth Vader mask.
He says the 23-year-old victim reported she was unhurt but that her attacker was a woman who'd pointed a gun at her and escaped with a small amount of cash.
In the absence of Tie fighter patrols, a 911 call helped lead police to a suspect, who was not far away and still wearing the mask.
A search revealed the 20-year-old didn't have a light sabre but was armed with a replica firearm, and Fincham says police will be seeking charges related to robbery and weapons offences.
Fincham says unfortunately for this robber, she underestimated the power of the force.