- Rebel rouser
- The Return of Reinhart
- Forum deemed success by organizers
- Social media reports are not true, Kimberley RCMP say
- Learning to live on three dollars a day
- Meet the Kootenay Columbia Green Party candidates
- Cranbrook businesses prepare for Black Friday discounts
- The centrepiece event of Election 2014
- The horrifying marriage career of James “Bluebeard” Watson
- Our Town
Syrian TV: 39 killed in campaign tent shelling
By Zeina Karam, The Associated Press
BEIRUT - Syrian state TV says the toll from a mortar attack on an election campaign tent packed with supporters of President Bashar Assad is 39 people killed and 305 wounded.
The TV showed pictures of Assad supporters in a tent in the southern city of Daraa dancing. It then showed people lying dead and wounded on the ground, including children. It was the first death toll provided by the government for the attack, which opposition activists earlier said killed 21.
The attack was the first to target a campaign event, heightening fears in government strongholds that rebels will escalate attacks in an attempt to disrupt the balloting scheduled to take place on June 3.