- Celebrate Family Literacy Day
- Warm weather increases avalanche danger
- New provincial funding supports mining
- With Allies Like These … Who Needs Enemies
- Seniors facilities closed to public during RI outbreak
- Tailings ponds inspections find no safety concerns
- KIJHL: California heat
- Police arrest one in snowmobile theft
- Our Town
Simulated gunfire part of SFU training exercise
By The Canadian Press
BURNABY, B.C. - What sounds like gunfire could be heard at the Burnaby, B.C., campus of Simon Fraser University today, but RCMP say no one should be alarmed.
They say the simulated gunfire is part of a training exercise.
The scenario is designed to test communication, emergency plans and police response to a potential emergency.
Several RCMP units are taking part, along with BC Ambulance, Burnaby Fire Department and officials from SFU.
The exercise begins at 9 a.m. and wraps up by 1 p.m.
A section of University Drive northwest of the academic quadrangle will be closed during the exercise.