- 600 turn out to see Cranbrook candidates in action
- What colour is the national mood ring?
- Thunderstruck in Creston Valley
- Provincial preparation
- Charity Challenge Boxing a total knockout
- Dalke competes in archery challenge
- Ice part ways with Steenbergen
- Avs beat up Bearcats in PACWEST volleyball
- RCMP looking for stolen van
- Our Town
Simulated gunfire part of SFU training exercise
By The Canadian Press
BURNABY, B.C. - What sounds like gunfire could be heard at the Burnaby, B.C., campus of Simon Fraser University today, but RCMP say no one should be alarmed.
They say the simulated gunfire is part of a training exercise.
The scenario is designed to test communication, emergency plans and police response to a potential emergency.
Several RCMP units are taking part, along with BC Ambulance, Burnaby Fire Department and officials from SFU.
The exercise begins at 9 a.m. and wraps up by 1 p.m.
A section of University Drive northwest of the academic quadrangle will be closed during the exercise.