- 600 turn out to see Cranbrook candidates in action
- What colour is the national mood ring?
- Thunderstruck in Creston Valley
- Provincial preparation
- Charity Challenge Boxing a total knockout
- Dalke competes in archery challenge
- Ice part ways with Steenbergen
- Avs beat up Bearcats in PACWEST volleyball
- RCMP looking for stolen van
- Our Town
Whitecaps: DeMerit to miss at least six weeks
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Whitecaps say captain Jay DeMerit will miss at least the next six weeks of action after tearing a tendon in his left ankle.
The injury happened in the first half of Saturday's 3-3 road draw against the Philadelphia Union.
The team said the 34-year-old DeMerit will rehab the ankle instead of opting for surgery.
The veteran defender tore his left Achilles tendon in the first game of the 2013 season and missed six months of action.
Vancouver is 5-2-6 in Major League Soccer so far in 2014 — with DeMerit having started 11 of those matches — but the Whitecaps have allowed an average of more than 1.5 goals against per game.
Vancouver's next game is June 25 at home against the Montreal Impact.