- Fluoride issue not just going away yet
- The new 2015 model shopping carts are in
- KIJHL: Character in Creston Valley
- Calgary Flames put money on Hartley; sign coach to extension
- Hurry hard
- Kimberley ski hill opening Dec. 20
- Kathy retiring from the kitchen
- Kimberley's SunMine slightly behind schedule
- Salvation Army getting hampers ready
- Our Town
Whitecaps: DeMerit to miss at least six weeks
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Whitecaps say captain Jay DeMerit will miss at least the next six weeks of action after tearing a tendon in his left ankle.
The injury happened in the first half of Saturday's 3-3 road draw against the Philadelphia Union.
The team said the 34-year-old DeMerit will rehab the ankle instead of opting for surgery.
The veteran defender tore his left Achilles tendon in the first game of the 2013 season and missed six months of action.
Vancouver is 5-2-6 in Major League Soccer so far in 2014 — with DeMerit having started 11 of those matches — but the Whitecaps have allowed an average of more than 1.5 goals against per game.
Vancouver's next game is June 25 at home against the Montreal Impact.