National News

Daycare evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

By The Canadian Press

SAINT-EUSTACHE, Que. - Authorities say at least five children were overcome by carbon monoxide at their daycare in St-Eustache, north of Montreal.

A city spokeswoman says that 72 children and about 10 daycare workers were taken to hospital as a preventive measure.

Stephanie Bouchard says the five youngsters experienced vomiting and headaches at Les petits explorateurs daycare centre today.

Bouchard says the children were transported by school bus to the local hospital.

The city says that all parents were advised and the leak was contained within the daycare building.

The St-Eustache fire department was at the scene, trying to determine the exact cause.

It is unknown whether a functioning carbon monoxide detector was installed at the school.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans in high concentrations.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

UPDATE: Rice receives written confirmation of changes to wheelchair cabin policy
 
Stay back from raging Chilliwack-Vedder river system
 
Flooding in Errington may be caused by intentionally clogged drain
Hydro announces more dam upgrades worth ‘hundreds of millions of dollars’
 
Vanier teacher offers donation option for Giving Tuesday
 
Punk activist playing live broadcast
ELECTION 2014: Alberni votes for change
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
‘Rogue broker’ fined, banned from practise

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.