National News

Two paramedics burned in training mishap

By The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - The chief of Ottawa's paramedics says two of his people suffered serious burns when a joint training exercise with police involving explosives went awry.

Anthony Di Monte says the two are in an intensive care unit with second-degree burns to their hands, legs and other areas.

Di Monte says the exercise involved using explosives to force an entry to a house.

After the explosion, other paramedics on the scene rushed to help the injured and transport them to hospital. Three other people — one paramedic and two Ottawa police officers — sustained minor injuries.

The chief says the two male paramedics are experienced members of a tactical team that routinely works with police.

Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau told a news conference the incident is under investigation by the province's Special Investigations Unit.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Teacher strike cheques in the mail
 
70 volunteers plant 2,000 trees at Aldergrove park
 
Prince Rupert LNG project delayed, others on track
When a world comes crashing down
 
Man missing since last week
 
ICYMI: Victoria, B.C. is the 3rd friendliest city in the world
Ethier wants a spot on RDN board
 
School trustee candidate: Steve Rae
 
Nanaimo man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.