- Second eyewitness on the stand in Learn trial
- Long & winding road
- Potential for huge avalanches this weekend
- KIJHL: Rivalry night in Kimberley
- Renovations underway at SPCA
- Symphony online silent auction now underway
- Meritorious service wins local B.C. honours
- Defence cross-examines witness in Learn trial
- Our Town
Quake shakes Alaska, no tsunami for B.C.
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - A strong earthquake has rumbled off Alaska's Aleutian Islands.
There are no reports yet of damage or injuries from the 8.0 earthquake.
Emergency Management British Columbia says there's a tsunami warning in effect for coastal areas of Alaska from Nikolski to Attu.
For other areas of Canada and the U.S. on the Pacific Coast, the emergency centre says the level of tsunami danger is still being evaluated.
So far, both the U.S. Geological Survey and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre say that based on available data a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami isn't expected.