- Teachers' union, province reach tentative agreement
- 2014-15 WHL Regular Season Preview: U.S. Division
- Wilderness wanderers rescued
- It's Fightin’ Season
- Trap trasher pleads guilty
- Open fires still prohibited in Southeast Fire Centre
- Regional treaty celebrates 50th anniversary
- Scottish referendum puts generation gap on display
- Two new “Islamic States”
- B.C. teachers, employers reach tentative deal
- Our Town
Italy navy finds 30 corpses in migrant boat
By The Associated Press
ROME - The Italian navy says some 30 people have died inside a packed smugglers' boat making its way to Italy.
RAI state radio says the navy's Grecale frigate rescued nearly 600 people from the fishing boat in the Canal of Sicily late Sunday. A navy spokeswoman said an estimated 30 bodies were discovered as well. The ANSA news agency said they were believed to have suffocated.
The navy says it rescued some 1,577 migrants over the weekend, adding to the nearly 60,000 who have made their way to Italy since the beginning of the year. That's compared to 42,000 in all of 2013.