- Former Ice captain Philp eager to get back into action with Rebels
- KIJHL: Dynamiters answer challenge, split weekend with Ghostriders, defeat Niteh...
- Kootenay Ice look to build upon shutout victory as Americans visit
- Kootenay Ice blank Hurricanes, fall to Rebels in weekend action
- Reconciliation in Ktunaxa Territory
- Shirts ready for Anti-Bullying Day
- MLA announces Hydro deferral for mines
- Funding comes in for Aboriginal anti-domestic violence program
- Our Town
Canucks sign first-round pick Virtanen
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Canucks have signed sixth-overall draft pick Jake Virtanen.
The six-foot, 208-pound right-winger from Abbotsford, B.C., had 45 goals and 71 points in 71 games last season with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.
He also had three goals and three assists in seven games to help Canada win the bronze medal at the 2014 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and helped Canada win gold at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial U18 summer tournament.
The signing comes one day after Vancouver came to terms with 24th-overall pick Jared McCann.