- Versatility, simplicity name of game for Mortlock
- Cranbrook man recuperating after grizzly attack
- KIJHL: Nitros deal Lane to Langley, sign rugged defenceman Bertoia
- Kootenay Country Fair coming up
- Grizzly attacks bow hunter
- Grants help fund local events
- Cooler temps, wet forecast lifts campfire ban
- Ktunaxa Nation, Métis Nation BC Sign Health Protocol Agreement
- New station prepares to hit airwaves
- Our Town
- 2015 Federal Election
Canucks sign first-round pick Virtanen
By The Canadian Press
VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Canucks have signed sixth-overall draft pick Jake Virtanen.
The six-foot, 208-pound right-winger from Abbotsford, B.C., had 45 goals and 71 points in 71 games last season with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.
He also had three goals and three assists in seven games to help Canada win the bronze medal at the 2014 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and helped Canada win gold at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial U18 summer tournament.
The signing comes one day after Vancouver came to terms with 24th-overall pick Jared McCann.