National News

Man succumbs to burns after Vancouver fire

By The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - A 60-year-old man has died of burns suffered Saturday morning in a blaze at a low-income residence in downtown Vancouver.

The victim suffered second and third degree burns when flames broke out at about 8:30 a.m. in a suite (at 1060 Howe Street.)

No one else was hurt but the blaze caused extensive smoke, water and fire damage to the unit.

The facility was due to be closed later this year.

Fire officials say the man's death is the second fire-related fatality in Vancouver in 2014.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

UPDATE: Police cruiser hit by gunfire; homicide team investigating
 
Jersey Day in Nelson
 
Part 1: The mushroom madness
And then there’s the ferry
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
Update: Burned body is Edmonton man
Fraser Health gets new president
 
COLUMN: What Wayne Wright dared us to do
 
Acquaintances remember Oliver pedestrian who was killed

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 28 edition online now. Browse the archives.