National News

US officials: US general killed in Afghan attack

By Robert Burns, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - U.S. officials say a U.S. two-star general was killed in an apparent insider attack by a member of the Afghan security forces.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the information by name ahead of an official announcement.

The attacker wounded approximately 15 people, of which roughly half were Americans, one official said.

A man dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire on foreign troops at Camp Qargha, a base west of the capital, Kabul. Among the wounded was a German brigadier general.

Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Defence Ministry, said a "terrorist in an army uniform" opened fire on both local and international troops. Azimi said the shooter had been killed.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Divers retrieve bodies of missing crew members
 
Terrace, Thornhill amalgamation issue raised
 
Police check hundreds of vehicles Tuesday on the Inland Highway
Campbellton planning big (and little) changes
 
Election 2014: Surrey school candidates debate education
 
Council nixes waste transfer station
Wine festival uncorked
 
Meet Maeve Maguire
 
Surrey enforcer killed on the weekend

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.