- The Bozon Effect
- Triple trouble weekend on tap for Dynamiters
- Wilks’ instincts kicked in when gunfire erupted
- Bill Bennett speaks stateside
- Dalke helps out with a rival’s hunt
- Strength in sport
- Canada Post says it’s taking mobility issues seriously
- MacBean campaigns for Council
- Invermere mayor challenged on Jumbo stance
- Drivers urged to watch out for wildlife on East Kootenay highways
- Mysterious dinner will raise awareness of local food issues
- Banished beyond Verona’s walls
- Kootenay corporate community gets kids outside
- ‘Velocity’ the theme of 2014/15 Kootenay Literary Competition
- Our Town
Saskatchewan woman takes the cheesecake
By The Canadian Press
MELVILLE, Sask. - She isn't from the culinary centres of Canada, but a Saskatchewan woman has taken the cake in a national baking contest.
Ronda Hahn (HAYN) of Melville won over the sweet teeth of the judges at a recent Kraft cheesecake contest with her caramel pretzel creation.
Hahn says her co-workers at a credit union prodded her to enter.
She says the cake was first made for the birthday of a friend who likes butterscotch liqueur.
Hahn won $5,000 at the contest held in Toronto.
Her recipe is to be published in Canadian Living magazine later this year.
Hahn developed her mouth-watering recipe keeping her friend's taste buds in mind.
"I made the cheesecake with liqueur for the flavour and ... put the caramel sauce underneath the chocolate topping. I knows she likes her salty and sweet ... so I just went off of that."