- What a busy year for the SPCA
- Cranbrook Food Bank readying hampers, turkeys, hams
- Owner almost loses ice fishing shack to Lake Windemere
- Woman airlifted after train hits car between Jaffray, Elko
- The perils of Florentia Sale
- Christmas 1914: Back to the Land
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
- Atom Royals crowned in Spokane
- KIJHL: Raucous rivalry renewed
- Safeway evacuated, police called in
- Our Town
Silver medal in javelin for 101-year-old woman
By The Canadian Press
SHERWOOD PARK, Alta. - A 101-year-old Alberta woman is adding another track-and-field medal to her collection.
Florence Storch of Hanna has won a silver medal in javelin at the Canada 55-Plus Games in Strathcona County, east of Edmonton
Storch is the oldest competitor at this year's games and threw the long spear just over three metres.
She was bested by the only other female athlete in the over-85 category — 87-year-old Doreen Erskine of Moose Jaw, Sask., who threw slightly more than five metres.
Storch took up the sport about a decade ago and, when the weather's good, practises outside the seniors lodge where she lives.
She says she plans to keep throwing the javelin for as long as she can.