- The Return of Reinhart
- Forum deemed success by organizers
- Social media reports are not true, Kimberley RCMP say
- Learning to live on three dollars a day
- Meet the Kootenay Columbia Green Party candidates
- Cranbrook businesses prepare for Black Friday discounts
- The centrepiece event of Election 2014
- The horrifying marriage career of James “Bluebeard” Watson
- Our Town
Silver medal in javelin for 101-year-old woman
By The Canadian Press
SHERWOOD PARK, Alta. - A 101-year-old Alberta woman is adding another track-and-field medal to her collection.
Florence Storch of Hanna has won a silver medal in javelin at the Canada 55-Plus Games in Strathcona County, east of Edmonton
Storch is the oldest competitor at this year's games and threw the long spear just over three metres.
She was bested by the only other female athlete in the over-85 category — 87-year-old Doreen Erskine of Moose Jaw, Sask., who threw slightly more than five metres.
Storch took up the sport about a decade ago and, when the weather's good, practises outside the seniors lodge where she lives.
She says she plans to keep throwing the javelin for as long as she can.