National News

B.C. wildfire prompts area restriction

By The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - Access around a wildfire in northeastern B.C. has been further restricted even though officials say cooler temperatures are expected to help ease the danger.

The Mount McAllister fire has been burning west of Chetwynd since July and has now reached almost 260 square kilometres in size.

The Wildfire Management Branch says no structures or communities are being threatened, but a restriction on access has been expanded to include six nearby areas as a safety precaution.

The branch says crews are working to prevent the fire from crossing into Dinosaur Lake near the community of Hudson's Hope and putting out hot spots in the southern sections of the blaze.

Earlier in the summer, more than 1,000 residents were forced to leave Hudson's Hope, where several areas remain on evacuation alert.

The province has spent $183 million this season fighting wildfires, almost three times the budgeted amount.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Ride-sharing company spooks taxi firms
 
Destroyed by fire
 
New Loblaws CityMarket caters to ‘food enthusiasts’
Horse Whispering comes to Campbell River
 
First-degree murder charge in 2013 South Surrey homicide
 
Glenhurst Manor haunted house will benefit charity
Teacher strike cheques in the mail
 
Marten Kruysse
 
Halloween events offer fun and frights tonight

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.