- Raiders register late win over resilient Ice
- Witnesses take stand in RCMP firearm trial
- Kimberley native Bancks back to Utica
- Cranbrook native Betker off to Virgina
- Accident closes Highway 93 south of Skookumchuk
- DOA roars back into Cranbrook
- Aquatic Centre seeks grant for free events
- City, school board reach agreement on dog park
- Two fatalities in collision near Jaffray
- Our Town
- 2015 Federal Election
Colombo Lodge site of battle for bocce supremacy
Since time immemorial — or at least, certainly for more than 50 years — the Cristoforo Colombo Lodge has been the scene of a summer bocce championship, trailing players from Cranbrook, Nelson and Trail.
The Colombo Lodge in each of those cities takes turn hosting the day-long event each year, and on Sunday, July 13, 2014, the championships came to Cranbrook.
Sixteen two-player teams competed in the knock-out style tournament, culminating in an A event and B event. Lunch, refreshments and prize money were on offer on a scorching hot summer day.
The winners for the tournament were:
• First place team winners, A competition: Elio Pesce Sr. and Elio Pesce Jr. of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Second place team winners, A competition: Joe Saccino and Don Saccino of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Third place team winners, A competition: Harvey Venier and Fred Tironese of Cranbrook
• First place team winners, B competition: Morris Paron and Alfonso Bertoia of Cranbrook
• Second place team winners, B competition: Guiseppe Bertuzzi and Hans Barth of Nelson
• Third place team winners, B competition: Vito Tumillo and Lorne Nicolson of Nelson.