- Local man recovering from grizzly attack
- Kimberley woman reports from locked down Ottawa building
- Rotary Club to mark World Polio Day
- Flu shots protect you and others
- Whalen hopes to build on progress at SD5
- Diana J. Scott seeks third term
- Time to give back
- Shots fired on Parliament Hill. National War Memorial, two wounded
- 'Little things' sink Ice in Prince Albert
- Cruisin' Kootenays
- Our Town
Colombo Lodge site of battle for bocce supremacy
Since time immemorial — or at least, certainly for more than 50 years — the Cristoforo Colombo Lodge has been the scene of a summer bocce championship, trailing players from Cranbrook, Nelson and Trail.
The Colombo Lodge in each of those cities takes turn hosting the day-long event each year, and on Sunday, July 13, 2014, the championships came to Cranbrook.
Sixteen two-player teams competed in the knock-out style tournament, culminating in an A event and B event. Lunch, refreshments and prize money were on offer on a scorching hot summer day.
The winners for the tournament were:
• First place team winners, A competition: Elio Pesce Sr. and Elio Pesce Jr. of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Second place team winners, A competition: Joe Saccino and Don Saccino of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Third place team winners, A competition: Harvey Venier and Fred Tironese of Cranbrook
• First place team winners, B competition: Morris Paron and Alfonso Bertoia of Cranbrook
• Second place team winners, B competition: Guiseppe Bertuzzi and Hans Barth of Nelson
• Third place team winners, B competition: Vito Tumillo and Lorne Nicolson of Nelson.