- KIJHL: Dynamiters visit Spokane Braves before hosting Fernie Ghostriders Saturda...
- Sidaway set for WHL debut with Kootenay Ice as Spokane Chiefs visit
- RCMP looking for home invasion suspect
- Students to take stand against bullying
- Sharing the trails by saddle
- Cranbrook keeps pushing towards the 20,000 mark
- The length and breadth of musical Canada
- Ice meet snow
- Triton Swimmers qualify for Provincials
- Timeless baroque repertoire on display at Royal Alexandra
- Kimberley’s Jordan Roy enjoying WHL rookie season with Americans
- Our Town
New cuisine on the block
A family business is welcoming Cranbrook diners to experience delicious Indian cuisine.
Pam and Ajay Uppal opened their restaurant, Cuisine of India, on Saturday, July 12. It’s located opposite the Prestige on Highway 3/95 in Cranbrook.
Pam manages the restaurant, while her husband Ajay is the chef.
They are both originally from India, and Ajay began his culinary career in Seattle at age 17. He worked there for 10 years, before moving to Vancouver.
The couple opened their first restaurant in Castlegar in September 2003. This restaurant, which has the same name, is a local favourite, and Pam said diners encouraged them to look at Cranbrook for another restaurant.
“Our customers in Castlegar would ask us when we were going to open a restaurant in Cranbrook,” said Pam.
“We love this community. When we came searching for a location, we drove by and saw this restaurant.”
The building used to be home to Fubuki Sushi. Before that, it was the long time home of Casa Dela Pasta.
Since taking occupation, Pam and Ajay have overseen extensive renovations of the inside of the restaurant.
“We’ve tried our best to make it like an Indian style restaurant,” said Pam.
Now the couple have three restaurants to oversee: the original in Castlegar, one opened last year in Vernon, and this third restaurant in Cranbrook.
There is an affordable lunch buffet offered Monday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for $12.95, meaning that those who haven’t eaten much Indian food can try out a variety of dishes to find their favourite.
And the a la carte menu is inexpensive, Pam said, with generous portions in a dinner for two package.